It may come as no surprise to those who take the I-10 routinely, that highway is home to many of New Orleans’ auto accidents. It seems no matter what time you may get on the I-10 there is an accident taking place. Because of this, it may seem like the majority of auto accidents take place on highly congested roadways and highways.
However, did you know that the majority of auto accidents take place much closer to home, and in much less congested locations? That’s right, an estimated 52% of all auto accidents take place within five miles of your home. That means locations like parking lots and neighborhoods are actually some of the most common places car accidents take place.
What is it that makes these seemingly safe locations such a popular location for auto accidents?
Neighborhoods are some of the safest places to drive in, right? With how low the speed limit is and the lack of other drivers, what could go wrong?
Well, a lot. Neighborhoods accidents are such a common occurrence for a number of reasons, which can all be linked back to some form of a:
- Lack of attention – One of the most common reasons for neighborhood auto accidents is the fact that many of us become comfortable in our drive, as it is often done multiple times daily. This causes us to take our eyes off of the road to turn to distractions such as cell phones or interacting with passengers. Being distracted behind the wheel is dangerous for everyone involved.
Make sure you always keep your eyes on the road, regardless of how well you know the area. In fact, you should be paying closer attention to the road in rural areas, as there may be pedestrians crossing the street, along with other potential hazards that may present themselves.
Another common location that accidents occur are in parking lots. Parking lot accidents come in many forms and are caused by many things, such as:
- Distracted driving – Are you seeing a trend here? Many of these rural accidents can be linked back to distracted driving. Similar to driving in neighborhoods, many of us also feel very safe and worry-free while driving in parking lots. This often causes accidents due to drivers becoming distracted behind the wheel.
- Lack of focus – For many, arriving at the parking lot of the locating you are going means you have already arrived. It’s common for us to begin calling friends to inform them of our arrival, fix our hair and makeup, and begin chatting with passengers once entering the parking lot. These all cause distractions and may end in an accident.
It’s important to understand that there are many moving parts in a parking lot and there are many things that may cause an accident. Always pay attention to the road and what’s ahead of you until you have fully stopped at your final destination.
In addition to some of the more rural accident locations, many accidents occur on two-lane roads. These roads are dangerous for a number of reasons, including:
- The nature of two-lane roads – The way that two-way roads are set-up makes for the perfect grounds for auto accidents. With only one lane running each way, and little to no room to swerve out of harm’s way, two-lane roads are dangerous just by existing. If someone begins coming into your lane coming from the other direction, there is little you can do to prevent some sort of accident from happening.
- These roads are commonly found en route to vacation destinations – If you’ve ever been to a cabin or summer vacation in the woods, chances are you’ve made your way across some two-way roads. These roads are often found leading to vacation spots which may mean you, the driver’s mind is elsewhere thinking of the fun times ahead. This may cause you to become distracted, which can lead to an accident caused by distracted driving.
- Poor visibility – With only one road going each way, visibility is extremely crucial to you and other drivers on the road’s safety. Not being able to see who is ahead of, and behind you may lead to an accident. Be sure to check your lights before departing to ensure they are in proper working condition. This will help cut through the poor visibility that fog may bring. More importantly, if you feel the visibility is hindering your safety, be sure to pull over and wait it out, if possible.
The Chopin Law Firm
Auto accidents may happen anywhere, at any time. And if you’re injured at no fault of your own, it’s important to understand your rights and what you can do to seek the compensation you deserve. The best way to ensure that happens is to work with an experienced New Orleans auto accident attorney.
Our team here at the Chopin Law Firm has been helping those injured seek the compensation they need to return to their “normal lives” for countless years. We know how it feels to be on the receiving end of injuries due to other’s negligence, and we want to ensure you have the representation to help you fight for what is yours.
Call the Chopin Law Firm today at (504) 475-2429 to learn how we can help over a free case evaluation.