New Orleans Car Accident Lawyers
We Have a Tradition of Excellence Helping Accident Victims
Some of the most common accidents in this day and age involve automobiles. In fact, car accidents are among the leading causes of injury and death in the United States. When a car accident happens, it is important to have the legal help you need in order to uphold your rights and ensure that you get the compensation you need and deserve from insurance companies and other parties involved.
At The Chopin Law Firm LLC, our car accident attorneys in New Orleans are passionate about securing the future of our clients. If you or a loved one have been involved in a car crash that was due to the negligence of another, don’t hesitate to enlist our experienced legal help! We are backed by more than five decades of legal experience and offer free case evaluations.
Call (504) 475-2429 to learn more about your legal options!
What Should I Do after a Car Accident?
- Remain at the scene - Never leave the scene of an accident, even if you were not at fault. Fleeing a scene can lead to criminal penalties.
- Check for injuries to yourself and passengers. If anyone is in need of medical attention, call for an ambulance.
- Call the police. When police arrive at the scene, they will evaluate the accident and write up a police report. Be sure to ask where you can receive a copy of the report.
- Gather information about the other driver's insurance, license plate, contact information, and addresses.
- Take photos of the damage and the surrounding scene.
- Seek medical treatment - Not all injuries show up immediately, so it is a good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible to make sure you did not sustain any internal injuries.
- Contact an attorney - Before talking to insurers, consult an attorney to learn your rights and how to file an effective car accident claim.
Determining Liability for Your Accident
Determining the cause of a car crash is crucial to getting the compensation you need. The Chopin Law Firm LLC conducts thorough investigations in order to determine who may be held liable for your injury.
Car accidents are commonly caused by:
- Drunk Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Poor Road Design
- Defective Car Parts
- Violation of Traffic Laws
- Unsafe Lane Changes
We can review the details of your accident and discuss how your injuries have affected your life. After looking carefully at all the evidence available, our team will craft a case that is fit to meet your needs and circumstances.
Car Accident FAQ:
If you've been injured in a car accident you probably have a lot of questions about which steps you need to take. If you're ready to get started on your case, call our office to set up a free case evaluation.
If you aren't quite ready to call us, or just want some more information, we've provided some helpful answers to common questions asked in regards to car wreck injury claims.
Is It Too Late to Call a Lawyer After Settling with the Insurance Company?
Insurance companies are quick to obtain statements about the accident and settle as soon as possible. If you've already agreed to a settlement with your insurance company, generally you cannot open a lawsuit against the insurance company or the defendant.
There can be a few exceptions to this, such as:
- The defendant acted in a fraudulent or coercive manner
- Your lawsuit is against a different person involved in the accident
What If You Don't Claim Injuries at First, but Then Discover Your Injuries Later?
It is always best to file an injury claim right away, as this ensures your best chance of success. However, there are many cases in which injuries suffered in an accident do not always present themselves right away. In the state of Louisiana, you only have one year to file a personal injury claim. Typically, the timeframe begins at the date the injury occurred. However, in cases where symptoms of the injury were delayed, you can have one year from the date the injury was discovered.
It can be difficult for your lawyer to prove the injuries you sustained surfaced after the one-year deadline, which is why it's crucial for you to receive medical attention immediately after your accident. Having detailed reports from your doctor that substantiate your claim can mean the difference between obtaining the compensation you need and living a life paying hefty medical bills.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation!
The sooner that you retain the services of our New Orleans accident lawyers, the sooner that we can begin to thoroughly investigate and prepare a case on your behalf. With extensive experience on both sides of the table, our firm can effectively handle your case throughout every step of case proceedings.
Contact us today and speak directly to an experienced lawyer in a free evaluation!