New Orleans Car Accident Lawyers
Injured in an Auto Accident? Call (504) 475-2429
After an auto accident, it’s important to have an experienced legal advocate in your corner. Our New Orleans car accident attorneys at The Chopin Law Firm LLC are passionate about advocating for our clients’ rights and fighting for the compensation they deserve.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a car crash that was caused by the negligence of another, don’t hesitate to enlist our experienced legal help. We are backed by more than five decades of experience and offer a free consultation to start your case.
Remember: Insurance Companies Are Businesses
When you have to file a car accident claim, keep in mind that insurance companies are businesses that need to make a profit. A common insurance company tactic is to avoid paying out as many claims as possible, even if this means wrongfully denying or undervaluing perfectly valid claims.
You should not be surprised if you get an initial settlement offer from the other driver’s insurer that seems suspiciously low. They may try to say, “It’s the best we can do” or convince you not to hire an attorney because that would “waste everyone’s time.”
Remember that you are vulnerable after a crash; resist the temptation to accept a lowball offer from the insurance company and call our auto accident lawyers in New Orleans as soon as you can.
Maximizing Your Settlement Offer
You are the only one that can decide whether to take the insurance company’s settlement offer. However, one of our New Orleans car accident attorneys can help you think of the big picture and calculate what you are really owed before taking the initial offer.
To calculate your full damages, here are some questions to consider:
- How long will I be put out of work?
- Will I be able to do the same job I did before? Will I ever be able to return to work?
- Will I need to see a specialist, such as a physical therapist?
- Does my injury require any surgeries?
- Will my injury require the use of a wheelchair or crutches?
- Will I have any long-term disabilities?
There are so many different angles to approach when it comes to calculating your full damage amount. This isn’t about being opportunistic, either.
If you take an offer that is less than what you deserve, you may be left with out-of-pocket medical expenses or lost wages when your settlement money runs out.
Protect yourself and your future well-being by taking every offer seriously and allowing an attorney from The Chopin Law Firm LLC to review it.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in New Orleans
Determining the cause of a car crash is crucial to getting the compensation you need. The Chopin Law Firm LLC conducts thorough investigations in order to determine who may be held liable for your injury.
Common causes of car accidents in New Orleans include:
- Drunk driving: These types of accidents are far too common. It's been reported that a person is seriously injured in a DUI related accident every two minutes.
- Distracted driving: In this day and age, cellphone use is by far the most common form of distracted driving. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported that in 2017, distracted driving resulted in 3,100 fatalities.
- Poor road design: When a roadway is poorly designed, it can lead to confusion, blind-spots, and actual structural issues in the road. All of these factors can and do, lead to serious vehicle accidents and injuries.
- Defective car parts: A defective car part can cause a car crash or worsen the effects of one. Common trouble parts include brakes, seatbelts, steering wheels, accelerators, and ignitions.
- Speeding: While speeding is just one form of aggressive driving, it not only can cause an accident, but the higher speeds can also lead to more serious injuries.
- Violation of traffic laws: When we share the roads with thousands of other drivers, traffic laws are key to preventing accidents and maintaining safety on the roads. Violating traffic laws is careless, reckless, and negligent.
- Unsafe lane changes: This is another common form of aggressive driving and is often accompanied by speeding. A driver who swerves between lanes at high speeds puts everyone on the road at risk of a catastrophic accident.
Our auto accident attorneys can review the details of your collision and discuss how your injuries have affected your life. After looking carefully at all the evidence available, our team will craft a case that is fit to meet your needs and circumstances.
Determining Liability After a Crash
One of the biggest factors to consider in a car accident case is determining who may be liable for causing the crash. In most cases, it is a negligent driver who is responsible, meaning the claim would be be filed against his or her insurance company.
However, in some cases, there may be other individuals or entities responsible for causing the crash. For instance, what happens when the collision is caused by a road hazard such as a pothole or missing traffic light? It may be the government entity responsible for maintenance who can be seen as liable for the crash.
In other cases, liability may fall on a manufacturer if the parts they produce are not safe or up to standard. For instance, in a situation where the brakes of a vehicle fail due to a defect, the manufacturer may be liable for any damages suffered as a result.
When you work with a New Orleans car accident lawyer at The Chopin Law Firm LLC, we can help you determine liability for your crash and explore all available avenues of compensation.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
There are several steps that you can take directly following an auto accident that can help prove liability and ensure you recover full compensation.
Steps to take following a car crash:
- Remain at the scene - Never leave the scene of an accident, even if you were not at fault. Fleeing a scene can lead to criminal penalties.
- Check for injuries to yourself and passengers. If anyone is in need of medical attention, call for an ambulance.
- Call the police. When the police arrive at the scene, they will evaluate the accident and write up a police report. Be sure to ask where you can receive a copy of the report.
- Gather information about the other driver's insurance, license plate, contact information, and addresses.
- Take photos of the damage and the surrounding scene.
- Seek medical treatment - Not all injuries show up immediately, so it is a good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible to make sure you did not sustain any internal injuries.
- Contact an attorney - Before talking to insurers, consult an attorney to learn your rights and how to file an effective car accident claim.
If you failed to complete one of these steps, it does not mean that your claim is lost or unwinnable. Our legal team has over five decades of experience handling these types of claims and offer free, initial case evaluations.
It costs you nothing to call our New Orleans car crash lawyers and learn more about your legal options.
The Risks of Handling a Car Accident Claim on Your Own
One of the most important things to remember about car accidents is that not everything is what it seems at first glance. There are several factors that need to be taken into consideration in order to determine fault and the entirety of your potential damages.
Already burdened by ongoing medical expenses and lost wages, some car accident victims think they are not financially able to retain a lawyer and choose to handle their own claims. Doing so could jeopardize your recovery in more ways than one.
You Give a Statement That Jeopardizes Your Claim
An adjuster from the at-fault driver’s insurance company will waste no time in contacting you after an accident. They do this in order to catch you in a vulnerable state where you may say things you aren’t necessarily certain of. For instance, you may accidentally insinuate you were partially responsible when the facts of the case show that the other driver was really at fault.
It’s always recommended that you speak with an attorney before speaking with the insurance company investigating your claim. This way, you can be advised on what to say, as well as what to avoid, in order to ensure liability is thoroughly investigated.
You Underestimate Your Injuries
The extent of your injuries is not always immediately apparent after an accident. In fact, some symptoms may not even manifest for days or weeks following the incident. Underestimating your injuries can cause you to skip an important step: seeking medical treatment and getting a proper diagnosis.
Without guidance from an attorney, you may simply think it’s not worth it to get medical attention or file a claim until it’s too late. If you wait an extended period of time to file a claim and begin gathering evidence, the insurance company may question how injured you really are and use it as a reason to deny your claim.
You Settle for Less Than What You Deserve
It can be hard to understand how much your claim is worth because there are many factors involved. You may think you should just accept a settlement because it covers your current medical bills and time spent off work, but what about your future expenses?
If your medical records indicate, for instance, that your doctor recommends future surgery, you need to account for these expenses as well. Otherwise, you will be stuck with out-of-pocket costs once the settlement money runs out later on.
An experienced car accident attorney from The Chopin Law Firm LLC can review the specifics of your case to ensure you do not accept a lowball settlement offer. We are committed to protecting the rights of accident victims by guiding them through the claims process from start to finish.
We work with each client on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay absolutely no out-of-pocket fees to retain our services. Our firm only collects fees if and when we help you win compensation.
Call for a Free Case Evaluation!
The sooner you retain the services of our New Orleans car accident lawyers, the sooner we can begin investigating and preparing a case on your behalf.
With extensive experience on both sides of the table, The Chopin Law Firm LLC can effectively handle your auto accident case throughout every step of case proceedings.
I was amazed at how quickly they were able to settle my case.
“My company U.S. Gold and Silver, Inc. used the Chopin law Firm. They were very professional at all times. They kept me in the loop throughout the process.”
He had our best interests at heart.
“I was very pleased with the services provided to my mother and I by Justin Chopin. He was very responsive.”
Diligent and Knowledgeable Lawyer
“I felt at ease. I was involved in an auto incident. In short form, Justin worked diligently to get a favorable outcome under the circumstances we had to work with.”
Your Calls Go Directly to an Attorney’s Cell
Over 100 Years of Legal Experience
If We Don’t Win, You Don’t Pay