Call Us Text Us

How Do I File a Claim For Hurricane Damage?

How Do I File a Claim For Hurricane Damage?

Hurricane season can come with many challenges, including having to file a claim for the damages caused by flooding and high winds. For those who have not experienced these damages previously or are simply not sure where to begin, it’s important to first have an understanding of what to expect from the claims process and how to file. Here’s what you should know.

Document Everything

When it comes to filing a claim for hurricane damage, the most important thing is to document everything. This means taking pictures and videos of the damages, as well as keeping any receipts for repairs that you have already made. It’s also important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the hurricane has passed to begin the claims process.

Work with an Insurance Adjuster

The insurance company will then send an adjuster to assess the damages and determine how much they will cover. Once the adjuster has inspected your home for damage, they will provide you with a written estimate of the repairs that need to be made. At this point, it is up to you whether or not you want to use the insurance company’s recommended contractor or find your own.

Hire a Contractor for Repairs

Once you have decided on a contractor, they will begin repairs and the insurance company will reimburse you for their work. It’s important to keep in mind that the insurance company may not cover the entire cost of repairs, so you may be responsible for some out-of-pocket expenses.

Contact an Attorney

In some cases, the insurance company may delay owed payments, devalue the damages even if appropriately documented, or outright deny your claim without a sound reason. In doing so, this may be considered acting in bad faith, and you can take legal action by working with an experienced hurricane damage lawyer.

The New Orleans attorneys at The Chopin Law Firm LLC have spent decades helping our clients through the most complicated damages and can help ensure you receive the necessary compensation. Schedule a free consultation by calling (504) 475-2429 today.