CHECK FOR SLIPPING OR TRIPPING HAZARDS
When guests arrive at your home, is there anything that could cause them to slip or trip? It’s important to remove any obstacles that could cause them to do so. You should check in every location around your residence, including your front yard, inside each room of your room, and your backyard, for hazards like:
- Cracked or crumbling steps
- Loose bricks or stones
- Uneven floorboards
- Cluttered floors
- Exposed wires or cords
- Slippery floors
INSTALL ADEQUATE LIGHTING IN ALL AREAS
Summer is the perfect time to enjoy the warm night air and twinkling stars. But, having adequate lighting in all areas of your home can increase the safety of your guests. You may want to upgrade the lights around your home so your property has proper lighting. This may include:
- Installing motion-sensor lights in outdoor areas, including the backyard or the walkway leading up to your house.
- Replacing burned or dimmed light bulbs.
- Installing LED lights on your ceiling fans.
- Adding hanging lights along a fence outside for additional lighting.
MAKE SURE YOUR SWIMMING POOL IS SAFE
A backyard pool promises endless fun for summer, but young children are at risk of unintentionally wandering near the edge, falling in, and even drowning. It’s crucial that you take steps to keep these young people out of harm’s way. If you have a pool in the backyard, here are some safety tips you should always implement:
- Have a four-sided perimeter around the pool or spa.
- The fence or gate lock around the pool should be child-proof.
- Install pool safety alarms.
- Put proper signage near the pool.
- Have an emergency floatation device nearby.
You and every other property owner have a legal obligation to keep your home relatively free of hazards. With that said, if you are injured on another person’s property during the summer, you may have a legal right to file a premises liability claim through the individual’s homeowner insurance.
The New Orleans premises liability attorneysat The Chopin Law Firm LLC are here to guide you through the entire legal process from start to finish. Contact our firm at (504) 475-2429 to speak with our legal team for free today!